[DRBD-user] how to drbd the / filesystem device

Joao Ferreira jmcferreira at critical-links.com
Sun May 23 22:28:38 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 12:46 -0500, Alex Dean wrote:
> I'm not an expert by any means, but the first major hurdle I see
> is :
> How would the secondary node operate if it can't have / mounted?

the secondary node will have to mount it's root either on RAM or on some
other device that I still need to figure out what exactly it's going to
be...

the idea is that the secondary machine must "release" all the storage
devices and run independently without needing to mount then (because it
cant)...

well... this approach really turns the secondary machine into something
quite dumb... but I don't have any other solution...

as for the primary I'm still thinking of the possible ways the kernel
could mount the "/" on a device with drbd on it... some issues need to
be solved such as the initial sync and so... initrd with drbd device
driver.... I really don't have a detailed solution yet...

but I'm trying !

comments ?