[DRBD-user] DRBD primary/primary for KVM - what is the best option?

Ryan Manikowski jeenam at gmail.com
Tue May 11 19:28:46 CEST 2010

On 5/11/2010 1:12 PM, Michael Iverson wrote:
> The interesting bit on the first link was the statement:
>
> "If active-active isn't possible, maybe there is distance involved and it's
> doing asynchronous replication, then you will need to implement something
> like heartbeat to add the volume using ietadm to the running iSCSI target
> once drbd B becomes primary..."
>
> The quote is a little short on implementation details, but based on
> it, and some snippets
> from the other links, it is the tool to dynamically add or remove
> volumes without messing
> with the remainder of the live volumes.
>
> The only challenge I see is that any changes that are made are
> dynamic, and would not
> survive a reboot or a daemon restart. So, somehow, upon a restart, the
> ietd daemon needs
> a method to reliably determine which volumes it should or should not
> be serving, or be
> told what to server by heartbeat or the state of the drbd volume.

A bit off topic, but instead of using IETD as the target daemon, using
SCST will provide better performance. Also, for those looking into using
a drbd/heartbeat/iscsi solution to host Microsoft Hyper-V clusters, SCST
offers SCSI-3 compliant Persistent Reservations. IETD, to my knowledge,
does not support PR.

--
	 Ryan Manikowski

 ryan at devision.us | 716.771.2282