[DRBD-user] drbd1: The peer's disk size is too small!

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Mar 24 11:07:47 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:13:54AM -0700, Qwerty-1 wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When i start my HA system, My Primary server is not able to make tcp
> conection with Secondary Server for replication of one of the resource. It
> is able to make TCP Connection for other resource that is replicated between
> Primary and Secondary Server.
> I have captured the logs and found the following errors in logs:
>
> Mar 23 14:41:56 YYuu kernel: drbd1: drbd1_receiver [30407]: cstate
> WFConnection --> WFReportParams
> Mar 23 14:41:56 YYuu kernel: drbd1: Handshake successful: DRBD Network
> Protocol version 74
> Mar 23 14:41:56 YYuu kernel: drbd1:
> /usr/src/drbd-0.7.25/dist/BUILD/drbd-0.7.25/drbd/drbd_receiver.c:1478:

First, you should not use 0.7 anymore.
You should really use 8.3.

> bitmap already locked by
> /usr/src/drbd-0.7.25/dist/BUILD/drbd-0.7.25/drbd/drbd_receiver.c:1478
> Mar 23 14:41:56 YYuu kernel: drbd1: The peer's disk size is too small!

Well, then, is it?
check "cat /proc/partitions"

The easiest way would be to suitably size the secondaries lower level device.

If that should not be possible,
depending on wether or not you can throw away your existing data on the
Primary, or want to do a dump/restore, or wether or not your file system
or data set in use supports (online?)
shrinking,
 * you'd need to shrink the existing filesystem or data set,
   then shrink your primary drbd
   (if neccessary using the size parameter in drbd.conf),
   then connect again and let them sync up.

OR

 * you'd need to recreate that drbd set from scratch,
   and repopulate it with your data after the first drbd handshake.
   (e.g. do a new mkfs and restore from backup -- NOT dd back an image
   of the file system, as that was from a "larger" device)

--
: Lars Ellenberg