[DRBD-user] becoming primary with outdated data

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Mon Mar 22 15:39:00 CET 2010

I'm using drbd 3.3.7 + heartbeat 3.  I've configured dopd using http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-heartbeat-dopd.html
.  It works as expected.  If I pull the ethernet cable used for drbd
replication, I see dopd activity in heartbeat's logs, and the
secondary's dstate changes to 'Outdated'.

Is it somehow possible to force drbd to become primary with this
outdated data?  I'm thinking if there is an unnoticed (failure of
monitoring, perhaps?) failure of the replication link, and then there
is some catastrophic failure on the primary which renders its data
unusable, it might be preferable to go forward with promoting the
outdated secondary to primary status.  I understand this means lost
data.

I've been reading through the man pages for drbdadm and drbdsetup, as
well as the DRBD Users Guide, and haven't found anything describing
how to do this.  Can it be done?

thanks,
alex