[DRBD-user] DRBD module won't load

Wood.Chris at tatravelcenters.com Wood.Chris at tatravelcenters.com
Thu Mar 18 21:25:05 CET 2010

Matt, thanks for your reply.

I did go change my kernel and I was able to compile and install the drbd
module on server0 - now I can't on server1, even though it's running the
exact same kernel, because it won't install the right version of gcc.

I tried yum install kmod-drbd and that's what it gave me. yum doesn't seem
to care if the versions match.

So I did a make rpm...
You have now:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  212405 Mar 18 11:11
dist/RPMS/i386/drbd-8.3.4-3.i386.rpm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1012695 Mar 18 11:11
dist/RPMS/i386/drbd-km-2.6.18_8.1.15.3.1.el5xen-8.3.4-3.i386.rpm

Looks nice, but I have drbd-8.3.6 installed... oops. So I downloaded the
source for drbd-8.3.6

Well wouldn't ya know it

make module does not work
make rpm does not work

/usr/bin/rpmbuild -tb \
            --define "kernelversion " \
            --define "kdir /usr/src/linux" \
             \
            drbd-8.3.6.tar.gz
error: Macro %kernelversion has empty body
error: Macro %kernelversion has empty body
error: Macro %kernelversion has empty body
error: Name field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Version field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Release field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Summary field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Group field must be present in package: (main package)
error: License field must be present in package: (main package)
make: *** [rpm] Error 1

So now what? The rpm build seems to only work with 8.3.4...

I noticed in the 8.3.6 Makefile, module: and rpm: are prefaced by .PHONY:
.. so how do I get around this?

Or can I just install the
drbd-km-2.6.18_8.1.15.3.1.el5xen-8.3.4-3.i386.rpm on both machines and be
done with it?

Thanks for your help

Chris