[DRBD-user] First time DRBD user question

Cameron Smith velvetpixel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 17:49:09 CET 2010

I am preparing for my first deployment of DRBD and have a few questions.

My initial setup is two servers. One is a functioning server and will
be the primary and the second is currently not used and will be my
secondary.

The DRBD instructions say:

"After you have installed DRBD, you must set aside a roughly
identically sized storage area on both cluster nodes. This will become
the lower-level device for your DRBD resource."

What is this storage area for?
How big does it need to be?

Is this just where DRBD keeps it's own data to function or is this
where the actual replicated source data needs to be and where the
destination will go?

Thanks!
Cameron