[DRBD-user] How to install kernel module on Mandriva 2009?

Viktor butyh at akmeservices.ru
Thu Mar 11 09:54:13 CET 2010

Hi,
recently I've built HA cluster on two computers running Mandriva Linux
Powerpack 2009 Spring.
I used heartbeat and drbd to do this.

The first computer has 32-bit architecture, and the second has Core2 Duo
processor, so I installed x86-64 version of Mandriva on the second computer.

There was no problems until I decided to update both systems. I used
"urpmi --auto-update" command.
The first machine updated finely, but after I updated software on the
x86-64 machine, drbd on this computer was broken.

Here goes some info about my installation:
[root at node1 /]# uname -a
Linux node1.akme 2.6.31.5-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP Tue Nov 3 14:32:52 EST
2009 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6550  @ 2.33GHz GNU/Linux

[root at node1 /]# rpm -qa "*drbd*"
drbd-utils-heartbeat-8.3.1-1mdv2009.1
drbd-utils-debug-8.3.1-1mdv2009.1
drbd-utils-8.3.1-1mdv2009.1

[root at node1 /]# service drbd start
Starting DRBD resources: Can not load the drbd module.

[root at node1 /]# lsmod | grep drbd
( NO MATCHES )

I decided that there's drbd kernel module does not exist anymore

So I tried to install drbd from source guided by instructions from
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-build-from-source.html

After kernel module was built and installed.

For a strange reason module was installed into
/lib/modules/2.6.31.5-1mnbcustom/kernel/drivers/block/ folder,
not into
/lib/modules/2.6.31.5-desktop-1mnb/kernel/drivers/block/, as expected.

Next I tried to modprobe that module:
[root at node1 /]# cd /lib/modules/2.6.31.5-1mnbcustom/kernel/drivers/block/
[root at node1 block]# modprobe drbd.ko
FATAL: Module drbd.ko not found.

Insmod leads to failure too:
[root at node1 block]# insmod drbd.ko
insmod: error inserting 'drbd.ko': -1 Invalid module format

Built module has following structure:
[root at node1 block]# modinfo drbd.ko
filename:       drbd.ko
alias:          block-major-147-*
license:        GPL
version:        8.3.7
author:         Philipp Reisner <phil at linbit.com>, Lars Ellenberg
<lars at linbit.com>
srcversion:     DC73CA4E6B9CA3109A0A17A
depends:        cn
vermagic:       2.6.31.5-1mnbcustom SMP mod_unload modversions
parm:           minor_count:Maximum number of drbd devices (1-255) (uint)
parm:           disable_sendpage:bool
parm:           allow_oos:DONT USE! (bool)
parm:           cn_idx:uint
parm:           proc_details:int
parm:           enable_faults:int
parm:           fault_rate:int
parm:           fault_count:int
parm:           fault_devs:int
parm:           usermode_helper:string

Please, advice me how to correctly install drbd kernel module, may be
there is RPM in repository?
I suppose, those three "drbd-utils*" packages don't contain kernel
module itself.