[DRBD-user] Which protocol to use based on latency and bandwidth

webPragmatist chris at webpragmatist.com
Wed Jun 16 21:55:22 CEST 2010

Hello,

I've been searching around trying to find a good way to determine which
protocol to use and also if it is necessary to use a proxy for my drbd
replication setup (2 nodes, active/passive).

My average latency using ping is 42ms. My average throughput using iperf is
120Mb/s.

I would like to run a synchronous type setup as we are planning on storing
both MySQL and PgSQL databases with ecommerce transactions on this partition
but if this is impractical we are willing to using either protocol b or a.

Side note, should we be looking at PgSQL/MySQL replication instead?