[DRBD-user] [Iscsitarget-devel] Reconnect LUN's with MS iSCSI Initiator?

Caspar Smit c.smit at truebit.nl
Tue Jun 8 16:03:13 CEST 2010

Hi All,

In addition to my previous post below, i am experimenting a little bit
further. I'm using IET 1.4.20.1 in an HeartbeatV3/Pacemaker/DRBD setup
now.

I noticed that when I use the lsb:iscsi-target init script the connection
reinstatement is working fine. But when I use the
ocf:heartbeat:iSCSITarget and ocf:heartbeat:iSCSILogicalUnit scripts
(created by Florian Haas)
for failover the connection reinstatement works only one time (failover
from node1 to node2). When i then issue another failover (from node2 back
to node1) the iscsi connection in MS iSCSI Initiator goes Inactive again.

I would really like to use those scripts from Florian because then I can
create 4 individual iscsi luns which can run on node1 or node2 seperately.
(like two on node1 and two on node2, to create a semi active-active
setup).
When I use the iscsi-target lsb init script I have to run ALL targets/luns
on one node.

Any idea why the connection reinstatement does not work correctly with
those scripts and does work with the LSB script?

I attached both my pacemaker setups (LSB vs OCF Scripts) for
investigation. I also included both OCF scripts.

I also noticed that for the OCF scripts to work you have to start
iscsi-target via the init script at boot using an EMPTY ietd.conf because
for the scripts to work /usr/sbin/ietd has to be running otherwise the
scripts give a "Connection refused" error and all hell breaks loose in
pacemaker saying that the scripts/monitors are not installed etc. Maybe
this can be incorperated in an updated version of the scripts that it
start ietd if it is not running at all.

SOMETIMES the scripts even let ietd crash when stopping/migrating a
resource(group) leaving the resource(group) in an unmanaged state.

Finally the scripts do need the /etc/initiators.allow /etc/initiators.deny
files when using allowed initiators. Since IET version 1.4.18
initiators.allow is deprecated and the base IET directory moved to
/etc/iet.
I had to manually create /etc/initiators.allow /etc/initiators.deny for
the OCF scripts because without them they crashed.

This was also posted to the DRBD mailinglist.

Kind regards,
Caspar Smit

> Caspar Smit [mailto:c.smit at truebit.nl] wrote:

>> get
>> up

>> > The next version should allow seamless session/connection
>> reinstatement.
>> Hi Ross,
>> I tested this issue I had with the latest iscsitarget 1.4.20
>> (great work!)
>> The seamless session/connection reinstatement seems to work
>> fine :-) the
>> only problem I encountered is that SOMETIMES during a
>> "/etc/init.d/iscsitarget restart" i get this message:
>> FATAL: Module iscsi_trgt is in use. failed!
>> This happens when I'm copying stuff to the target AND when it
>> is idle, it
>> doesn't really make a difference it seems to occur at random.
>> When I get this message, did the iscsitarget restart
>> whatsoever or didn't
>> it restart?
>
> Don't worry about this error, the init scripts attempts to
> unload the module, but since it's still busy cleaning up
> it can't. We can fix the init script to sleep a bit longer
> or we can remove the part that attempts to remove the
> module.
>
> -Ross

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the