[DRBD-user] STRANGE ISSUE - disk partition deleted after resync

roberto.fastec at gmail.com roberto.fastec at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 08:50:10 CEST 2010

[Solved]

Thank to Dan I focused that I self deleted my partition table. Still unknown which 200GB were synced.

Additionally Dan gave me some tips that now I'm going to share with other newbies like me :-)

- if you dedicate drbd a whole disk on each server.
1) don't care about their size, drbd will consider the smallest of the two (but looking at dmesg, I've seen it complaining about the size difference and does some sync/check)
2) it is not needed to partition them. If u don't partition them, this could be better, so drdb will not deal with partition table

- if you messed up the things and u want start over with such configuration and for some reason delete the drbd resource
1) If the disks are still empty (mine are, because I'm doing test with drdb itself), you can skip waiting for a full sync and do as follow

New Blank Disk:
===============

#On both nodes, initialize meta data and configure the device.

drbdadm -- --force create-md <res>

#They need to do the initial handshake, so they know their sizes.

drbdadm up <res>

 #They are now Connected Secondary/Secondary Inconsistent/Inconsistent.
Generate a new current-uuid and clear the dirty bitmap.

drbdadm -- --clear-bitmap new-current-uuid <res>

#They are now Connected Secondary/Secondary UpToDate/UpToDate.

drbdadm primary <res>

# finished

- if you have a simple primary/secondary drbd setup
1) drbd.conf file must contain the become-primary-on <mainservername> statement
2) Turn-on-sequence, <mainservername> will become primary only if its OS will boot after the the secondary node OS boot. Otherwise they will be both secondary/secondary no matter the above statement.

Kind regards

R.
Le mail ti raggiungono ovunque con BlackBerry® from Vodafone!