[DRBD-user] Installation progression - Device is held open by someone

guohuai li guohuai_li at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 11 01:51:29 CET 2010

maybe it is because the disk partion is not umounted.

Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 00:17:40 +0100
From: idesent at gmail.com
To: drbd-user at lists.linbit.com
Subject: [DRBD-user] Installation progression - Device is held open by someone

Hello,

getting DRBD to work with MySQL was not problem. However prior to adding heartbeat I want to get a fix on the 2 problems below:

Debian Lenny/LVM
DRBD 8.0.14

(1) State change error: Trying to set active node to passive and vice-versa

# drbdadm  secondary mainvol
/dev/drbd0: State change failed: (-12) Device is held open by someone
Command 'drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 secondary' terminated with exit code 11

# drbdadm  down all
/dev/drbd0: State change failed: (-12) Device is held open by someone
Command 'drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 down' terminated with exit code 11
drbdsetup exited with code 11

picked up from a forum:
# vgchange -an
  Can't deactivate volume group "vg0" with 7 open logical volume(s)

I could literally tear the connection by severing the link between the nodes and then set the active node, but there must be a smoother way.

(2) After reboot the DRBD volumes on the primary are offline/not-mounted/locked by DRBD. Setting them primary resolves it and allows a mount -a to mount them all. Is this the default behavior without heartbeat ??

thanks - ies