[DRBD-user] DRBD performance penalty when in standalone mode only

Maros Timko timkom at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 13:47:44 CET 2010

Hi all,

Happy New Year to everyone from me too!

Recently I was testing the performance penalty of DRBD when it is configured
in Standalone mode only. I mean, the DRBD was not yet connected with peer at
all. What I was surprised is that the performance depends on config changes.
Theoretically, one could end up with different config options for regular
and standalone modes, although I understand that main aim of DRBD is online
data propagation.
I thought as soon as metadata are having flag of the peer as Inconsistent,
there is no need to update any metadata or bitmap with local writes as we
know that after reconnection we will have to do a full resync nomatter what
we do. Was I wrong or would it be some kind of an item on to-do list?

Thanks,

Tino