[DRBD-user] measuring how far behind secondary node is

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Mon Feb 22 18:55:12 CET 2010

On 2010-02-22 17:41, Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
> Am Montag, 22. Februar 2010 16:45:58 schrieb Mike Bro:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just set my first drbd (drbd 8.3). Classic configuration, one
>> primary, one secondary.
>> So far so good. My question is how can I measure how far secondary is
>> behind primary (either in estimated seconds or kilobytes).
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Mike.
>
> cat /proc/drbd

Except it won't tell you much while Connected.

If by "classic configuration" you mean protocol C, then while Connected,
the secondary _will not get behind_ the primary. That's what the
"synchronous" in "synchronous replication" means.

If however you got disconnected and are now resynchronizing, then the
"oos" flag in /proc/drbd will tell you how many blocks are still out of
sync, which however is also not a measure of "being behind", as in a
resync writes are not applied chronologically. It's merely a measure of,
well, how "out of sync" the device is.

Cheers,
Florian