[DRBD-user] kernel soft lockup

Marco Barbero marco.barbero at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 19:44:51 CET 2010

2010/12/29 Marco Barbero <marco.barbero at gmail.com>:
> Hi all.
> I'm exeriencing a nasty kernel soft lockup on one cluster.  Have to
> say I have tons of clusters using same config and all is working fine
>
> To the point:
>
> kernel 2.6.36.2
> drbd 8.3.8.1
> (it happens on  2.6.32 and drbd 8.3.7 too)
>
> On the primary node it happens call tracing task blah blah blocked for
> more than xx seconds... etc.
> After investigating I have noticed that if I stop drbd on the
> secondary node,  then the hanging node immediately works fine
> again....
> Maybe it's related to nic used that is a RTL-8169...?

some updates.  I Have replaced rtl with e1000 but no luck
in short:

- start drbd on node A, become master
- mount device, start a service (for example mysql with db on the drbd
mounted partition or squid with logs on mounted partition)
- start drbd on node B, it becomes secondary
stop mysql, all is ok
start mysql, all is ok
reboot node b (secondary)
when it comes up again, I start drbd on it and it becomes again secondary
at this point...:
stop mysql on node A (primary) and... soft lockup.  it hangs until I
stop drbd on the node b (secondary).  as soon as I stop it, node A
works again and mysql (or any other service hanging) stop immediately.
I'm stuck now...  Any hints please?  Thanks in advance

I'm using protocol C, one resource, external metadata.  Partition is 360GB
First time I have a similar issue..