[DRBD-user] DRBD LVM question

Peter Beck peter at datentraeger.li
Tue Dec 28 11:24:09 CET 2010

Hi all,

I have two hosts (debian squeeze amd64) each with two disks (raid1 with
mdadm) and lvm for their partitions. I'm planning to use DRBD between
these hosts.

There is a good advice about using existing lvs here on the mailinglist:
http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2009-February/011464.html

But there are still some open questions:
For each (existing) LV to replicate I have to use a dedicated metadisk,
is that correct ? Or can I use the same metadisk LV as for the first
LV ? I'm planning to create a new LV for the meta-data as it is
described in the mail above.

Or should I use drbd for the whole raid on the disk ? What are the pros
and cons between using just LVs or using the whole disk ?

Thanks and regards
Peter