[DRBD-user] migrating to DRBD (newbie question)

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Apr 29 03:53:31 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to take a production system, and create a hot-spare - using
DRBD and Xen live migration.

Pretty much all of the documentation I've seen talks about starting with
two bare-iron boxes, and setting up a replicated environment.

What I haven't seen is any guidance on whether one can "insert" DRBD
into a production environment (presumably with a reboot somewhere in
there), and then have a backup machine sync to the existing one.

Our current production system is pretty much vanilla Debian, with
servers on top of it.  What I'm envisioning is a sequence something like:
- set up a Dom0 and DomU on the new machine - install the O/S, servers,
and application code into the new DomU
--- build this with the DRBD driver installed, but not replicating
anywhere (is this doable?)
- take the old machine down
- set up the new machine with all the old IP addresses and such
- copy all the user-level data to the new environment
- bring up the new environment -- with the DomU essentially looking just
like the old environment
- rebuild the original machine with Xen and DRBD installed - this
becomes the backup machine
- do something to have DRBD copy the new DomU production environment to
the backup machine
- enable live migration

Has anybody done something like this?  Can you offer any guidance and/or
pointers to HOW-TO writeups?

Thank you very much,

Miles Fidelman