[DRBD-user] Force metadata regeneration without using drbdadm ?

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Sep 18 20:36:32 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:24:45PM +0200, Maxence DUNNEWIND wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Ganeti which is a virtualization manager (based on xen/kvm) which uses
> drbb.
>
> Anyway, it uses only drbdsetup + drbdmeta but :
> - drbd.conf isn't user
> - drbdadm is *never* used to create the drbd device, the only commands use are :
>   * drbdsetup disk
>   * drbdsetup net
>   * drbdsetup syncer
>   * drbdmeta create-md
>
> So ganeti creates a drbd device using these commands. At this stage, the setup
> is :
> - A data device, let's say /dev/foo/bar_data (foo is a lvm group)
> - A metadata device, let's say /dev/foo/bar_meta
> - A drbd device /dev/drbd1
>
> The challenge is to put an existing disk with a full system on the preconfigured
> lvm volume (bar_data), so the steps are :
> - drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 down
> - dd if=/some/dev/already/configured of=/dev/foo/bar_data

Why not of=/dev/drbd1 ?

> This step is good, but now I need to force metadata resynchronisation on
> /dev/foo/bar_meta, but I can't use drbdadm because there is nothing in
> drbd.conf, and nothing made with drbdadm, so I don't have any ressource :)

what exactly is "metadata resynchronisation"?
and why would you want to do that?

> The question is :
> how can I force metadata resynchronisation on an "external" partition only using
> drbdmeta and drbdsetup ?

well, if you (ok, the cluster manager of your choice) does only use
drbdsetup and drbdmeta, then use drbdsetup or drbdmeta.
 ;)

would drbdsetup invalidate do what you need, in case you cannot do
dd of=/dev/drbdX for some reason?

Sorry, I somehow did not quite get what exactly you are trying to do.

--
: Lars Ellenberg