[DRBD-user] Force metadata regeneration without using drbdadm ?

Maxence DUNNEWIND maxence at dunnewind.net
Thu Sep 17 22:24:45 CEST 2009

Hi,

I use Ganeti which is a virtualization manager (based on xen/kvm) which uses
drbb.

Anyway, it uses only drbdsetup + drbdmeta but :
- drbd.conf isn't user
- drbdadm is *never* used to create the drbd device, the only commands use are :
  * drbdsetup disk
  * drbdsetup net
  * drbdsetup syncer
  * drbdmeta create-md

So ganeti creates a drbd device using these commands. At this stage, the setup
is :
- A data device, let's say /dev/foo/bar_data (foo is a lvm group)
- A metadata device, let's say /dev/foo/bar_meta
- A drbd device /dev/drbd1

The challenge is to put an existing disk with a full system on the preconfigured
lvm volume (bar_data), so the steps are :
- drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 down
- dd if=/some/dev/already/configured of=/dev/foo/bar_data

This step is good, but now I need to force metadata resynchronisation on
/dev/foo/bar_meta, but I can't use drbdadm because there is nothing in
drbd.conf, and nothing made with drbdadm, so I don't have any ressource :)

The question is :
how can I force metadata resynchronisation on an "external" partition only using
drbdmeta and drbdsetup ?

Cheers,

Maxence
--
Maxence DUNNEWIND
Contact : maxence at dunnewind.net
Site : http://www.dunnewind.net
06 32 39 39 93
GPG : 18AE 61E4 D0B0 1C7C AAC9  E40D 4D39 68DB 0D2E B533