[DRBD-user] Question on ext3 and dual primaries mode

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Mon Sep 14 09:37:10 CEST 2009

On 2009-09-13 19:57, PieterB wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm about to create a DRBD cluster with 2 disks per node. I want to use dual
> primary mode, in order to be able to write to both nodes concurrently.
>
> If I interpret http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-dual-primary-mode.html
> correctly dual-primary-mode requires the use of a shared cluster file system
> that utilizes a distributed lock manager, such as GFS(2) or OCFS2 filesystem.
>
> I was wondering if using ext3 is also possible when using dual primary mode.
> The DRBD-docs seem to state that this is impossible. I was amazed, that
> according to the Ubuntu server guide,
> https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/serverguide/C/drbd.html this seems a possible
> setup. The example on that page uses "allow-two-primaries" and ext3 as filesystem.

Ante, can you please drop a note to the Ubuntu Server Guide
documentation maintainers that the example of configuring ext3 on top of
dual-Primary DRBD is utter nonsense? AFAICS the example does not
actually mention *mounting* the device on both nodes, so what they are
documenting is actually a single-Primary setup anyway. So they probably
just want to delete the "allow-two-primaries;" line from their example
conf and be fine.

Thanks,
Florian