[DRBD-user] How to add a new DRBD resource on a production cluster

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Thu Sep 10 12:40:09 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 12:06 +0200, Schmidt, Florian wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> i have to add a new DRBD-volume to our production cluster.
>
> This are the steps I would do:
>
> - create a new partition on both cluster nodes (fdisk)
> - reboot both machines, so the kernel knows about the new partitions
> - edit the /etc/drbd.conf and add the new resource (both nodes)
> - create internal metadata with drbdadm create-md
> - bringing the thing up with drbdadm up (both nodes?)
> - doing the initial sync with drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer
> primary
> - create a filesystem on the device
> - use it!
>
> Did I miss something?
>
> Will I have to create new special device files in /dev/ with mknod and
> if so, what is the correct command for this?

I've just done exactly this, although I shrank an existing
filesystem/LVM volume to create another volume.

The only thing you have missing is at the end where you configure
auto-mounting of the device, probably by making it a heartbeat-manager
resource.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower