[DRBD-user] Truck replication

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Sat Oct 31 10:17:22 CET 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 07:41:16PM +0000, jay b wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I am stuck with truck based replication.  I have the following setup:
>
> node1 (primary):
> /dev/sda7 [4TB]
> /dev/drbd1
> I have also created filesystem ext3 on drbd1
>
> node2:
> <same configuration as above, but there is NO filesystem>
>
> I am basically trying to avoid the initial sync time (if possible).
> So, now node1 is primary and if I follow steps written on this page
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-using-truck-based-replication.html
> I can get both servers to display uptodate/uptodate state.
>
> But, when I mount /dev/drbd1 to /mnt/drbd (on node1 which is primary),
> and copy files to /mnt/drbd, I do not see Uptodate/Inconsistent
> message (via cat /proc/drbd on node1)

Why would you expect node2 to become "Inconsistent"
during normal operation?

> At this point I would assume that node2 should get some data and try
> to sync with primary.  Am I missing any steps?

When you _connect_ the second node,
it will do some (bitmap based) resync.

Once connected, and "Connected Uptodate",
it will do _online replication_.

If there is problem, I don't see it?
Either you or me or DRBD misunderstood something, I guess.

--
: Lars Ellenberg