[DRBD-user] drbd + 10gig network

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil
Fri Oct 30 20:34:40 CET 2009

Mike Lovell wrote, On 12/23/-28158 02:59 PM:
>> On 10/23/2009 10:40 PM, Mike Lovell wrote:
>>> exaggerated the problem. when the sync hangs, the drbd module is
>>> almost completely unresponsive. i tried doing a pause-sync and then
>>> resume-sync thinking that it would nudge the module into working but
>>> the commands timeout on talking to the module. i can still cat
>>> /proc/drbd but that is about it until i take down the network
>>> interface and drbd detects the network change. if i then bring back
>>> up the interface, drbd detects it can talk again but then only syncs
>>> a couple of megabytes before stalling again. i have tried every way i
>>> can think of to check the integrity of the network link between the
>>> hosts and everything says they are fine except for during a ping
>>> flood there will be a few out of a couple h
>>
> yes, i am using software raid. i guess i didn't try changing that during
> my hardware changes. i'll see if i can scrounge up some raid controllers
> to test this with.
>
> mike

One other thing I would suggest looking at, which I don't think anyone else mentioned.

Network equipment in between the mirrors. (switches, cables, crossovers)

What is your MTU?

I experienced a problem _very_ similar with the set I maintained when a 10/100baseT hub/switch was
placed between the units instead of the crossover cable I had been using.  The base problem was that
the hub only supported MTUs smaller than 1500, and I was using 6000.  If you are using Gig equipment
I would expect a considerably larger maximum MTU, but there _may_ be a limit somewhere there.

hope this helps.
--
Todd Denniston