[DRBD-user] Skipping initial sync, and full sync after node failure

Ian Marlier imarlier at brightcove.com
Fri Oct 23 23:22:45 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Lars Ellenberg
<lars.ellenberg at linbit.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 02:44:45PM -0400, Jean-Francois Chevrette wrote:
> > Hi Ian,
> >
> > when creating a new resource which doesn't have any data that you want
> > to keep on either node, you can use the following:
> >
> > # drbdadm -- --clear-bitmap new-current-uuid drbd0
> >
> > You can see the documentation here and make sure this applies to your
> > situation:
> > http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/re-drbdadm.html
> >
> > Then, your second issue should not occur as both nodes will now have a
> > synchronized bitmap. It least that's how I understand it.
>
> Right.
> The necessary procedure is best documented in the drbdsetup manpage,
> which is online as well:
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/re-drbdsetup.html

Lars and others who replied --

This procedure was exactly what I was looking for.  It was quick and
painless.  Following this (instead of the set-gi thing I had mentioned
previously) also fixed the issue that I had been having with a full sync
being required after reboot.  Which is excellent!

For what it's worth, I would suggest that this documentation could possibly
be made more prominent than it is at the moment.  While it is in one of the
man pages, I suspect that I am not the only person who is going to overlook
it because we're used to using drbdadm as the interface to drbdsetup.  I had
looked through the drbdadm man page in detail, on top of Google and
everything else, but hadn't found this because it never occured to me to
look at the drbdsetup page.

Thanks again for the pointers!

- Ian