[DRBD-user] BUG? Oops: kernel NULL pointer dereference in drbd_connector_callback

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Mon Oct 19 14:43:52 CEST 2009

On 19.10.2009 11:51, Lars Ellenberg wrote:

>>> I'm trying to install DRBD 0.8.3.4 on top of Linux 2.6.31.3.
>>> When trying to start DRBD I get an Oops:

> Did it even occur to you that you could also try the "usual"
> out-of tree module build?

Sorry, but no, that didn't occur to me. I used the kernel-patch method
since 0.7 and always preferred it, because there are two drawbacks with
the "usual" method:

1.) If you prepare your system for a new kernel version you need to
remember a special depmod command to prevent ending up with "modprobe:
FATAL: Module drbd not found" after a reboot:

	depmod -ae `cat /usr/src/linux/include/config/kernel.release`

That was not needed with the kernel-patch method.

2.) If you have a running system and recompile/reinstall your kernel,
after "make modules_install" the drbd module is gone. You always need to
remember to change to the drbd directory and do "make install" again.

Anyway. I guess these woes will be gone when DRBD is integrated into the
kernel. Will it get pulled into 2.6.32?

> I really regret that I created that "kernel-patch" make target in the
> first place. You are not supposed to do that.

Sorry again, but I did not read anything like "You are not supposed to
do 'kernel-patch'" or "deprecated" when checking the documentation.

Anyway: I did that and it worked now. Thank you.

> Did read the list archive?
> I admit the Subject is misleading, but it is your problem:
>  "oops on create-md", last week.

Sorry, I searched for "drbd oops drbd_connector_callback" and the "oops
on create-md" thread did not come up, because the dmesg output is hidden
in an attachement.

After I read the thread, I tried the method Stef came up with:
	make all
	make kernel-patch
and that works too.

Regards,
        Robert

P.S.: Sorry if I wrote something offensive. I'm not a native english
speaker. Beg your pardon!