[DRBD-user] Error when trying to mount drbd partition : 'Bad geometry: block count xxx exceeds size of device'

clipclop clipclopnz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 00:58:01 CEST 2009

>Ah.
>What size is your meta data area?
>What size is the resulting DRBD?
>-> cat /proc/partitions,
>compare drbd0 and your lower level device.
>
>You'd need ~196 MiB meta data (bitmap area) for ~6 TB storage.

Meta-data area 256 MB so no problem there.

I just upgraded linux kernel+headers+etc to 2.6.30.8-64 (fc11.x86_64) and
recompiled DRBD 8.3.4 from scratch to this kernel.
Completely zeroed out external meta-data partition, then reran 'drbdadm
create-md' command.
Started DRBD service.
Running 'cat /proc/partitions'   shows the following sizes :
  5807677440 dm-0  (logical backing volume for DRBD)
  4293787648 drbd0
As usual, when mounting drbd0 I receive the same error message about invalid
superblock, and 1 line in /var/log/messages is logged:
kernel: EXT4-fs: bad geometry: block count 1451919360 exceeds size of device
(1073446912 blocks)

What could cause the discrepancy between the logical and DRBD volume sizes ?