[DRBD-user] 8.3.5 Stalling on sync

Igor Neves igor at 3gnt.net
Wed Nov 25 16:29:28 CET 2009

On 11/25/2009 12:41 PM, Florian Haas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 2009-11-25 12:50, Igor Neves wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is why, Linbit should publish in the documentation, a list of
>> hardware (NIC's) tested and certified as fully working.
>>
>> I have seen this problem here in the list a couple of times in the
>> last month. It's kind of sad spend time and a lot of money in good
>> enterprise network hardware, and in the end things don't work as they
>> should.
>>
> There is no way we can do that for all the distros and kernels we support.
>
> We can also not assume responsibility for kernel network stack bugs,
> driver bugs, firmware bugs, you name it. Sorry, but what you ask for is
> plain impossible. And, the underlying assumption that your hardware and
> its driver is always right, and it must be DRBD that's wrong, does not
> hold up in our experience. Remember broken TCP checksum offloading on
> some Intel Gigabit cards?
>
> We will double and triple check customer's hardware as part of a support
> contract. We do also pinpoint individual software or hardware issues as
> part of support or consultancy engagements. And we try to do what we can
> in terms of alerting our user community to known hardware issues. And,
> we do have hardware partners who take part in our DRBD Certified
> Platform program. And that encompasses just what the name implies,
> complete certified hardware platforms. Which you get full cluster stack
> support on.
>
> But we won't put up a "certified" NIC list like you are asking for. It
> just makes zero sense.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian

Hi,

Florian, of course everything linbit does for this community, it's
amazing, I don't really have nothing to complain and I don't know too
much company's like linbit when it comes to opensource projects.

You guys are just amazing, starting from the stability, backporting, bug
correction, community support to documentation. I really don't have
nothing to complain, only to thanks.

What I was trying to says its, I was not asking a list of ALL the
hardware drbd run's fine, because it should go fine everywhere. What I
was trying to says it's, imagine in the next week, I will deploy a new
cluster with drbd, I will need 10Gbit NIC's, because I have a lot of I/O
bandwidth.
If there is a list with a couple of 10Gbit NIC's that works, I will
simply forward it to my manager and ask him to buy one of that ones. If
he would like to buy a shipper one, and things go wrong, don't blame on
me, or even on DRBD or Linbit... :).

Would be nice to have that list, that's only.

--

Igor Neves<igor.neves at 3gnt.net>
3GNTW - Tecnologias de Informação, Lda

  SIP: igor at 3gnt.net	JID: igor at 3gnt.net
  ICQ: 249075444		MSN: igor at 3gnt.net
  TLM: 00351914503611	PSTN: 00351252377120