[DRBD-user] compiling 8.3.6, sane configure defaults

Eelco Jepkema eelco at procolix.com
Mon Nov 23 17:14:07 CET 2009

Florian Haas wrote:
> There is no easy way to satisfy your ./configure & make & make install
> requirement _and_ at the same time be in line with autoconf defaults
> (which tend to mirror the FHS). No matter what we do, we'll either
> dissatisfy someone who wants to type as little as possible, or someone
> who has used autoconf before and who expects us to adhere to its
> conventions. Arbitrarily, we chose to stick to autoconf's conventions.
>
> Thus, you can either go with
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
> make
> sudo make install
>
> ... or you can peruse
> http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/autoconf/Site-Defaults.html#Site-Defaults
> to learn how to tweak your local autoconf defaults. Or you build an RPM,
> where the %configure macro will set the correct configure flags
> automatically.

Thanks alot for taking the time to reply to this, I'll check into the
autoconf defaults possibility because that does indeed sound like the
way to go.

Ofcourse the best thing would indeed be for the module to go into the
mainstream kernel and then someone/we/I can make some distributions for
the userland stuff so I can do 'aptitude install drbd-tools', or
something like that, without having to think about this stuff :).

Best regards,
Eelco Jepkema