[DRBD-user] drbd + 10gig network

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Fri Nov 20 18:01:20 CET 2009

Mike Lovell wrote:
>> Igor Neves wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Are you still using software raid?
>>>
>>> Have you tryed out using hardware raid?
>>>
>>> The only time i had tryed out drbd with mdraid, well let's say, i
>>> never will try that again, from now on, we only use areca raid
>>> cards. Anyway, software raid it's slow, if you want to do this
>>> thing, buy raid controllers, the best ones are areca, 3ware and lsi
>>> it's bad, don't know all the others.
>>>
>>> Cheers,

>> yes, i am using software raid. i guess i didn't try changing that
>> during my hardware changes. i'll see if i can scrounge up some raid
>> controllers to test this with.
>
> i got a hold of a few 3ware controllers and used these for the disk
> array instead of the software raid. unfortunately, it still broke.

after much more experimentation and buying new hardware, i got a things
working. i did eventually try doing this on the hardware i had using
opensuse 11.2 and centos 5.4. same problems. luckily, i was able to
convince my boss to let me buy some new 10 gig nics cause those are the
only thing that didn't change. i ordered some cards from chelsio (pcie,
dual port cx4) and just got them on wednesday. put them in, configure
them, and start syncing. never hiccuped. so, i guess for anyone else
wanting to try this, avoid using 10gig pcie intel nics.

mike