[DRBD-user] syncing on multiple links

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Wed Nov 18 13:07:08 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 11:56 +0100, Jeroen Groenewegen van der Weyden
> Hello,
> I'm wondering if there drbd supports a configuration of two nodes with
> each two nic's in two separate lan's.
> eg
> - node 1 connected to lan x and lan y
> - node 2 connected to lan x and lan y
> The drbd syncs through both lan-s or fails over from lan x to lan y when
> lan x fails.
> mfg,

When you say "two lans" do you mean two different IP Subnets (eth and or do you mean two layer-2 switches?

I don't believe DRBD can use to different subnets at the same time,
although there's nothing stopping each node from being on a different

What you can do is use the bonding driver to make N physical interfaces
appear to the system as one interface. The assumption here is that each
physical interface on machine A can talk to each interface on machine B.

Node A eth0 - Switch 1 - Node B eth0
              ||    ||
Node A eth1 - Switch 2 - Node B eth1

With two switches, you'd connect the eth0 interfaces to one switch, eth1
to the other and then connect both switches together (with an
etherchannl trunk probably).
You'd then configure eth0/1 on each machine to be in a bonded interface
(bond0) which you then assign the IP address to that you'll use for DRBD

Hope this helps!

Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower