[DRBD-user] LVM PV on drbd block device

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Fri Nov 13 19:19:03 CET 2009

On 11/13/2009 04:59 PM, Juan Antonio wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Why the drbd documentation do not reference this issue in the "Configuring
> a DRBD resource as a Physical Volume" section?

Because googling for "DRBD LVM" and hitting the LVM page in the user's
guide does not mean you should be skipping the Fundamentals chapter. :)

From http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-resource-roles.html:

"A DRBD device in the secondary role receives all updates from the peer
node's device, but otherwise disallows access completely."

In other words, a pvscan on a Secondary device will never return a PV
signature for that device. For LVM's purposes, as long as that DRBD
resource is Secondary, no PV exists there. Make it Primary, rescan, and
as if by magic you'll see your PV sig, and your VG, and once you
activate it, all your PVs.

At this point I'll assume that you have different lvm.conf "filter"
entries on your nodes. Please go back and fix that, and follow the LVM
chapter again (after you've made sure you've understood the
fundamentals). In your current configuration you're probably signing up
for losing data.

Cheers,
Florian