[DRBD-user] System Backup and Restore of a DRBD cluster node

Steffen Neuser sneuser at nexgo.de
Thu Nov 12 23:29:29 CET 2009

Hello DRBD Community,

How is it possible to make a System Backup and Restore of a DRBD cluster
node?

I'm looking for an easy disaster recovery method without the need of
installing, setting up the system and drbd.

The disk scheme is as following:

/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 = /boot

/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 = / with LVM (entire disk) and LV's:

-        system /

-        . Application and Data LV's, that are mirrored with the remote
cluster peer via DRBD

I could imagine that an sector based method (e.g. dd or IFL) will work, but
it will need a lot of time and will produce a huge image

if you save the entire disk to an image. One idea is to backup & restore
MBR, partition table/disk scheme, LVM, system LV only.

After connecting the desaster recovered node, it must be replicated from the
allive node with current data and applications anyway.

But I dont know how to make this kind of selective sector based backup &
restore and if this ist the right method for DRBD.

Thanks for hints and regards Steffen