[DRBD-user] DRBD replication for disaster Recovery

niru.feeds niru.feeds at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 10 07:25:09 CET 2009

Hello All,

I have tested DRBD with HA (same network clustering), but I wanted to know
how can I use DRBD (2 nodes) in different locations (local & remote) for
disaster recovery.

Scenario:

we have a small data center with 20 servers (including blades and VMS) all
of these servers use iSCSI SAN for storing data. I have a identical setup in
my DR site. some of the servers are used on other networks (VPNs, Branch
etc.)

We also have a network redirection in case of failure. That means if the
primary (production) network goes down, all the traffic will be routed to
our DR site. as well we have few client systems (200 in primary location and
10 in DR site) which use these servers. At the moment we are taking tape
backups of each logical disks in primary SAN and putting them on the DR site
SAN. thats time consuming and with so many logical volumes too many tapes
are being used.

As I mentioned in the primary site we have tested DRBD with HA and it works,
all the iSCSI targets are available to the primary site servers through the
DRBD failover mechanism.

What I want is take one of the DRBD servers and keep it in DR site
(connected via wireless / OF) and do the replication.

I found that if I stop the heartbeat, the replication between the nodes
stops and with remote networks, how do I do the heartbeat. our remote site
is different subnet. we configured IP redirection, even DNS change if
primary goes down, all in all, we have network switchover in case "primary"
fails.

I need help in doing the DRBD without HA configuration (which needs either
cross over or same subnet) at the same time the replication should be both
ways with latest data replicated on both DRBD servers.

Please let me know how can I go for this.