[DRBD-user] OK to Extend LV Under DRBD?

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Wed Nov 4 14:48:30 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 03:36 -0800, Robinson, Eric wrote:
> Hi all!
> I have my drbd disk on a logical volume that is running out of space.
>     device     /dev/drbd0;
>     disk       /dev/vg01/lv01;
> drbd0 is 400GB and about 80% full.
> Is there any danger or issues of concern if I want to simply extend
> logical volume lv01 and thus increase the size of device drbd0? Can this
> be done "live," or is there a special procedure? Will this have any
> implications for the ext3 filesystem mounted on drbd0?

Resizing (On and Off Line) is detailed here:

> Also, as a separate question, are there any performance or reliability
> issues that I should know about that occur when drbd disks start filling
> up?

DRBD just replicates blocks; there is no concept of a "full" DRBD block
device since it is only concerned with replicating dirty blocks.

Of course, the file system running on-top of DRBD may have its own
issues when it fills up, but those are not linked to DRBD.

Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower