[DRBD-user] 3 node chain config

paziulek paziu at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 20:57:10 CET 2009

Hello,
I would like to create 2 copies of the primary in a "chain" configuration:
( sys1 mirror to sys2, sys2 mirror to sys3 - [same data on all] )

sys1/sda10 -> sys2/sda10 -> sys3sda10

when I try to share the same filesystem on sys2 using drbd0 and drbd1
configs I am getting :
>> Lower device already in use. <<
when trying to setup drbd1

I also tried drbd1 to use drbd0 on sys2 as the DISK:

drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 disk /dev/drbd0 /dev/sdb9 0

--no luck

Q1: is there a way of mirroring the secondary?
Q2: is there a way of mirroring primary to 2 secondaries? ( I am using drbd
0.7.5 on a 2.4.21 system )

and if somebody would ask why I would need such config:
I want to mount the sdaX filesystem on sys3 in read-only mode to have access
to semi-real-time data and at the same time have full mirror on sys2 with no
sdaX access other than DRBD.

Thanks a Lot,

Mike