[DRBD-user] drbd + 10gig network

Igor Neves igor at 3gnt.net
Mon Nov 2 11:20:06 CET 2009

On 10/30/2009 07:52 PM, Mike Lovell wrote:
> Todd Denniston wrote:
>>>>
>>> yes, i am using software raid. i guess i didn't try changing that
>>> during my hardware changes. i'll see if i can scrounge up some raid
>>> controllers to test this with.
>>>
>>> mike
>>>

>> One other thing I would suggest looking at, which I don't think
>> anyone else mentioned.
>>
>> Network equipment in between the mirrors. (switches, cables, crossovers)
>>
>> What is your MTU?
>>
>> I experienced a problem _very_ similar with the set I maintained when
>> a 10/100baseT hub/switch was placed between the units instead of the
>> crossover cable I had been using.  The base problem was that the hub
>> only supported MTUs smaller than 1500, and I was using 6000.  If you
>> are using Gig equipment I would expect a considerably larger maximum
>> MTU, but there _may_ be a limit somewhere there.
>>
>> hope this helps.
> i am essentially using a crossover cable between the boxes and a mtu
> of 9000. i did try with the standard 1500 and 9000 frame sizes and had
> failures with both.
>
> mike

In my opinion, you should put everything on the default standard's. MTU
should only be changed when you need "the extra mile" and AFTER you have
your system stable.

Don't change default's before your have that stability. You don't get so
much difference in speed changing MTU from 1500 to 9000.

This is my rule when i'm having troubles or when I'm playing with
something new, and this is for all options, don't apply only for MTU.

I will be playing exacly with this setup one of this days, I will give
my feedback later.

Have you consider using EL5 (or centos 5)?

Good luck,

--
Igor Neves<igor.neves at 3gnt.net>
3GNTW - Tecnologias de Informação, Lda

  SIP: igor at 3gnt.net	JID: igor at 3gnt.net
  ICQ: 249075444		MSN: igor at 3gnt.net
  TLM: 00351914503611	PSTN: 00351252377120