[DRBD-user] 4TB Soft Limit when using External Meta Disk

Kelvin Leong kelvin at zension.com
Sun May 31 05:39:25 CEST 2009

Hi guys,

a) 4TB Soft Limit when using External Meta Disk

I've noticed that there's a 4TB soft limit in place when using an External
Meta Disk.
(i.e, "meta-disk /dev/sdx1[0]" inside your drbd.conf file in the "net"
section)

Pretty sure this isn't anything to do with weird math or stuff, because it's
limited at *exactly* 4,000,000MB if you use a disk larger than 4TB - (I
tried with a 6TB array and a 5TB array to) rather than our usual
power-of-two-number.

After pouring through loads of forum posts, I sincerely doubt this has
anything to do with the size of my external meta disk - for 4TB you only
need somewhere around ~180MB - and I've tried with 2GB and 8GB meta disks.

You should be able to replicate this as of "version: 8.3.1
(api:88/proto:86-89)".

To draw a contrast, you can try those very same arrays and use the default
internal meta-disk (i.e, "meta-disk internal" inside your drbd.conf file).

---

b) Increased Performance with External Meta Disks

Apart from that, after running loads of dd-write's, I've personally found
that using an External Meta Disk greatly boosts performance, especially in
sync'ing - my results were on the average:

60,544 (62,132) K/sec - External meta disk
46,072 (46,204) K/sec - Internal meta disk

You can see a clear 15 to 25MB/s increase, even with initial sync.

Thought I'd just share this.

Thanks.

Regards,

Kelvin Leong