[DRBD-user] CentOS 4.6 udev problem with DRBD

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed May 20 07:15:30 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:30:01AM -0400, Ken Dechick wrote:
> Hi Lars, thanks for the reply.
>
> I am still completely confused as to what is going on here. This is a
> standard CentOS 4.6 install. I have not done anything out of place. I
> have even completely reinstalled the OS, and DRBD on both of my nodes
> and still have this issue. Yes, if I remove the 65-drbd.rules from
> /etc/udev/rules.d things go back to normal. How could it be that udev
> in RHEL4/CentOS4 could be this broken and yet it is not a known issue?
> The drbd0 device I manually created does not survive a reboot - should
> I be creating a boot script to recreate the device at each bootup
> since udev seems to have a problem?
> It seems that this an old older udev (version 039), I see that CentOS
> 5.X uses udev 095 - that's a pretty huge leap! By what I am seeing it
> would seem that ANY RHEL4 system should should be suffering from the
> same problem. Judging by your response I have to assume this is NOT
> the case.

I don't know.
maybe just that old udev does not know about "IMPORT" and $env{} stuff.
from the ls -l you posted, not only DRBD uses those,
and they are all broken on your box (or on rhel4 in general).

> Since I have ruled out something "funny" going on by complete reload
> of the OS and DRBD on both node machines, which direction should I
> head in next? Is there ANY known issue with the older 039 version of
> udev?

probably. I don't know.

> Why is it that anything else which uses udev works perfectly fine?
> (USB modems, other hard drives, ect).

now, parports and ramdisk and stuff all had "funny" symlinks
in that ls -l you posted.

> I really need some advice on what to do next!

remove the udev rules file for drbd,
and keep doing what you did before.

that udev stuff is a recent addition to drbd.
if it does not work for you, ignore it.
for now, at least.

--
: Lars Ellenberg