[DRBD-user] Some interesting metadata stuff

Gennadiy Nerubayev parakie at gmail.com
Sat May 9 00:27:36 CEST 2009

Possibly related to my earlier post, but this time I focused on two things
primarily: SSDs and metadata.

Hardware: DRBD on top of 1 X25-e in each of the DRBD nodes, configured as
simple volume on a hardware raid controller, and connected via IP over
infiniband.
Workload: 100% random io writes, 8KB block size

Direct to the disk: 77.78MB/s, average latency 2ms
Disconnected DRBD, metadata on ramdisk: 75.64MB/s, average latency 2ms
Connected DRBD, metadata on ramdisk: 50.87MB/s, average latency 4ms
Disconnected DRBD, metadata internal: 6.25MB/s, average latency 39ms
Connected DRBD, metadata internal: 6.20MB/s, average latency 39ms
Disconnected DRBD, metadata on a single 15K sas disk: 43.46MB/s, average
latency 5ms
Connected DRBD, metadata on a single 15K sas disk: 39.32MB/s, average
latency 5ms

Full resync speeds for all tests were 180-200MB/s (about what's expected
from a single x25-e). There is no difference between flexible and regular
metadata for internal or external usage (metadata was recreated for those
tests). Interestingly, ~6MBs is the same speed that I got when testing a 7
disk raid 0 15K sas array with internal metadata (everything else is the
same) and putting metadata on ramdisk moved that up to ~35MB/s.

So for some reason even in the case of a very fast SSD, internal metadata
performance for random writes is really bad. Putting it on any kind of
external disk brings an immediate exponential performance increase..

-Gennadiy