[DRBD-user] Full resync vs real-time sync

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed May 6 12:09:23 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 06:49:06PM -0400, Gennadiy Nerubayev wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg at linbit.com>wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 03:57:16PM -0400, Gennadiy Nerubayev wrote:

> > > 4GB on one node, 8GB on the other. I verified that benchmark numbers are
> > the
> > > same on both nodes.
> > >
> > >  > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/drbd0 bs=4M count=1000 oflag=direct

> > > After rerunning these various sizes, there is no appreciable performance
> > > difference from bs=4M, in either connected or disconnected mode, across
> > all
> > > flags. I didn't do connected benchmarks on a single core, as the resync
> > > performance dropped by 100MB/s with only one core..
> >
> > Ah. right.
> > in that case, try "syncer { cpu-mask 3; }" and see if that improves
> > performance during normal operation on your dual core cpu.
>

> Not much effect, except dsync which appears to be a little faster by about
> 10MB/s.

then you may have to start with checking tcp timings,
or going for some of the kernel profiling stuff.

the main difference of internal-resync vs. streaming writes from userspace
are the context switches involved.
I'm not sure how to explain the "missing 100 MB/s", though.
have not seen that in person, yet.

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT HA-Solutions GmbH