[DRBD-user] how to retain the data in the partition for initial setup for DRBD

Cindy KS TOH kstoh at dlsjubm.com.my
Sat May 2 05:57:24 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have a question that has bugged me ever since i come across and start
using DRBD+HA.
And I do really need help getting some answers regarding to it. Maybe
it's already asked by someone else or all the time but i can seems to
find it.
Anyway.. my question is, can i retain my original data in partition from
before i setup DRBD?
 From experience when we do the initial sync, it will wipe out the
partition that is ready for drbd partition.

for example.

Device

Mount Point/ RAID/ Volume

Type

Format

Size (MB)

Start

End

Hard Drive

/dev/sda

/dev/sda1

/boot

ext3

502

1

64

/dev/sda2

VolGroup00

LVM PV

75814

65

9729

LVM Volume Groups

VolGroup00

75776

LogVol00

/

ext3

40960

LogVol02

/metad

ext3

1024

LogVol03

/data

ext3

10240

LogVol04

/data2

ext3

19456

LogVol01

swap

4096

If  i already have data in /data and /data2 before i start to install
drbd for server 1. Can i retain them like replicate the data to the
server 2 which is new? instead of do backup somewhere else and wipe of
/data /data2, then restore from tape or something to the new /drbd0
(/data) and /drbd1 (/data2).

Sorry if i cannot express well.. Please help? or you have more question
for me?

My active server has about 1TB+ of data with billion files/folder due to
the system structure, now i need to upgrade/reinstall the OS from F7 to
F10 and upgrade drbd from 0.7 to 8.3. the data part is killing me cause
a full backup and restore and the sync for drbd partition is a pain.
Every step also takes more than 24 hours of waiting/down time.

help? please?

Warm Regards,
Cindy TOH