[DRBD-user] Question about the 'ping' mechanism

Iustin Pop iustin at google.com
Tue Mar 17 10:48:48 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:39:15AM +0100, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:27:21AM +0100, Iustin Pop wrote:
> > If it would be possible to enable pings on the data connection as well,
> > that would be better I think, since DRBD can detect if the actual remote
> > DRBD thread is responding correctly (and not just its TCP stack). I also
> > don't know how DRBD would react to its connection being shutdown by the
> > TCP stack when not having activity (as opposed to a send error during
> > activity).
>
> it probably won't even notice.
> but if you think along that lines,
> rather implement a "ping to disk".
> have one file / block on the drbd, and write to that every few seconds.
> then DRBD can detect if the actual remote _disk_ is responding,
> and not just the kernel thread ;-)
>
> and its just a matter of
>  cd /into/mounted/drbd
>  while sleep 10; do
> 	dd conv=fsync if=/dev/zero of=__probe__ bs=1b count=1
>  done

True, that is the best option, except...

Just to clarify how we hit this, we really had a corner case here - in
case the DRBD device is used for swap, as a full device (and not
partitioned one, where you could say for example to overwrite the boot
sector), you can't really force writes to it. Well, maybe one could
overwrite the swap label or so, but that a not very good workaround. In
our case, we'll fix the conntrack issue.

Thanks again,
iustin