[DRBD-user] External metadata size

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Mar 13 15:47:49 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:01:05AM +0000, Maros Timko wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder why user documentation states how to estimate required DRBD
> metadata size for external metadata:
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/ch-internals.html#s-external-meta-data
> when it is quite hardcoded value. At least example drbd.conf file still
> includes this information (128MB for each DRBD resource).

there is meta-disk, and there is flexible-meta-disk.

man drbd.conf

> So did ahything chance with DRBD 8.3.0 regarding external metadata size
> requirements?

with drbd 8.3, you can use up to 16 TiB storage (well, you should not
have that exact amount, rather some sectors less).

that would need 512 MiB worth of bitmap, plus the usual few KiB
for "superblock" and activity log.

--
: Lars Ellenberg