[DRBD-user] Cannot force node to be Primary Connected after kernel panic

Jeff Orr jeff at attributor.com
Wed Mar 11 19:54:03 CET 2009

/At Wed Mar 11 19:14:45 CET 2009, Lars Ellenberg said:/
> I have no idea how exactly you got into this situation.
>
> but to recover from it, without doing a full sync,
> you need to low-level modify the DRBD meta data uuids.
>
> on the box where you want to throw away the data:
> stop (unconfigure) drbd.
> do
> drbdadm -- 0CE9A5964B14BF3A:0000000000000000:AC676DD67EC523BD set-gi $resourcename
> start (configure and connect) drbd.
>
> should then do a bitmap based sync.
>
> I would feel more comfortable with a full sync, though.
> to do so, I'd probably "start from scratch",
> and re-create drbd meta data on the "victim" node.
>
> or at least to an online verify afterwards (we have had various issues
> with online verify in the past, unfortunately, so use latest version).
>
> --
> :/ Lars Ellenberg
> /:/ LINBIT | Your Way to High Availability
> /:/ DRBD/HA support and consulting http://www.linbit.com
> /

Thanks for the reply, Lars. Here is what I just did on the secondary:

[root at docidtxt04 ~]# drbdadm down all
[root at docidtxt04 ~]# drbdadm create-md all
md_offset 6999850872832
al_offset 6999850840064
bm_offset 6999637221376

Found xfs filesystem which uses 6835583224 kB
current configuration leaves usable 6835583224 kB

 ==> This might destroy existing data! <==

Do you want to proceed?
[need to type 'yes' to confirm] yes

You want me to create a v08 style flexible-size internal meta data block.
There apears to be a v08 flexible-size internal meta data block
already in place on /dev/sdc at byte offset 6999850872832
Do you really want to overwrite the existing v08 meta-data?
[need to type 'yes' to confirm] yes

Writing meta data...
initialising activity log
NOT initialized bitmap
New drbd meta data block sucessfully created.
[root at docidtxt04 ~]# cat /proc/drbd
version: 8.3.0 (api:88/proto:86-89)
GIT-hash: 9ba8b93e24d842f0dd3fb1f9b90e8348ddb95829 build by argus at docidtxt04, 2009-03-04 16:23:58
 0: cs:Unconfigured

I am going to bring the node's connect up with 'drbdadm connect all'. Should this be safe to do? I assume that the 'victim' node will immediately become a SyncTarget.

This would be easier to debug if I could have captured the kernel panic from the 'victim' node when it crashed after becoming primary.

Thanks,
Jeff Orr
Attributor Corporation