[DRBD-user] Packages and Security Updates for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (codename Hardy)

Peter Funk pf at artcom-gmbh.de
Wed Mar 4 10:46:25 CET 2009

Hello,

I've deployed machines with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (codename Hardy) and
DRBD and heartbeat.

Ubuntu 8.04 published in April 2008 is the latest Linux distribution
having so called long term support (LTS):  This means Canonical
promised to provide security updates for this version for some time.

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS contains DRBD version 8.0.11

Unfortunately in Ubuntu Linux the DRBD software is split
over (meaning is contained in) two different binary packages:
1. The kernel module comes within several packages depending
   on which kernel is used.  Most likely on of these here:
      ``linux-ubuntu-modules-generic``
      ``linux-ubuntu-modules-server``
   These particular packages are often updated due to any kernel
   related security update released by Canonical.
2. The utilities are part of a package called ``drbd8-utils``

I don't want to put the whole linux-ubuntu-modules package on hold in
the package management system  because this would prevent any future
Linux kernel security updates from http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
from being installed.

My question is:  What is the recommended best practice to deal with
this conflict if I want to follow the recommendations posted on this
list here and want to use a newer version of DRBD?

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Funk, ✉Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee
office: ArtCom GmbH, ✉Haferwende 2, D-28357 Bremen, Germany