[DRBD-user] Replicating a Boot LUN (root, swap and /boot)

J R boyliny at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 30 16:20:21 CEST 2009

All,

I have looked around for an answer to this question but haven't found one.  The closest configuration to what I need is at: http://wiki.openssi.org/go/FC2_DRBD_Root_Failover_HOWTO

I would like to be able to replicate the Boot LUN (block device) to a secondary server.  We presently used array based replication to replicate our Boot from SAN (fiberchannel) servers so we can boot them up at an alternate location for DR.  There have been challenges when moving from QLogic Failover Multipathing to native DM-MPIO multipathing due to reliance on WWID and other issues with the non LVM native EXT3 /boot partition.

That being said, I am interested with this as a low cost alternative for our remote sites to use internal storage while providing a very up to date (asynchronous) copy of the Boot LUN.  I am not looking to automate the failover (via heartbeat, RHEL clustering, etc.) but thought I would create another disk to an already running server to be the target of the Boot LUN replication (secondary).

Is this possible?  Is there any documentation describing how to accomplish this (ie - mkinitrd with the appropriate kernel mods?  The Boot LUN would contain the standard root "/" file system via LVM, swap via LVM and /boot as native ext3 partition.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff - RHCE