[DRBD-user] Question about sizes

Rainer Sokoll rainer at sokoll.com
Wed Jun 17 09:38:07 CEST 2009

Hi,

my question is more LVM related, but I hope someone here will come up
with an answer.
I need to turn a physical machine into a virtualized one (Xen), I want
to use drbd with LVM as storage backend. Therefore, I must tell lvcreate
the exact size of the logical volume(s) that need to be created. Found
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-internals.html#s-meta-data-size.
But I do not know how lvcreate computes the sizes. The manpage says:

-L, --size LogicalVolumeSize[kKmMgGtTpPeE]
       Gives  the  size to allocate for the new logical volume.  A size
       suffix of K for kilobytes, M for megabytes, G for gigabytes,  T
       for terabytes, P for petabytes or E for exabytes is optional.
       Default unit is megabytes.

What is kilo/mega/giga here? 1024 or 1000?
My goal is simply to dd the physical devices into logical volumes.
Any idea?

Rainer