[DRBD-user] NFS writes and DRBD

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Fri Jun 12 14:22:27 CEST 2009

I'm new to the list. This has possibly been discussed before, in which
case a pointer would be welcome.

We're planning a two-node heartbeat-controlled web server cluster possibly
using DRBD to share the web sites' data between the two nodes. Some of the
sites on this server are dynamically updated by users (eg, uploading
photos or whatever), so it's important that both web servers can write to
the shared data directories.

Under consideration is using DRBD and making the primary accessible to the
other web server by mounting it r/w via NFS. I realise that the NFS
metadata will need to be on the DRBD volume, and that we need to get the
appropriate services stopped/started if there is a failover, but in
principle are there any problems with this? Is there any advice regarding
NFS parameters for such a configuration?

We'd rather use ext3 + NFS than one of the cluster filesystems and a
master-master configuration, but if there are better ways of running a two
node webserver cluster where either node can update the data then we'd
like to consider them.

Thanks for any help -
K.