[DRBD-user] DRBD 8.3.1 three nodes : How to synchronize stacked resource without umount first lower DRBD device ( HA )

Fabrice LE CREURER f.lecreurer at numlog.fr
Mon Jun 8 18:12:56 CEST 2009

Hi,

I repost my email with more informations !)

We have set an 8.3.1 DRBD architecture using 3 nodes (
[A<-->B]<-Stacked->[Y] ). We have initialized first resource (A/B) and
can bind DRBD device.

During production mode using HA resource case, if the stacked resource
(Y) have a disk failure. We will replace it and made a full
synchronization first but we need to access ( during first stacked
synchronization ) and bind the main lower DRBD device before the end of
stacked synchronization !

    We have replace the disk on Y and create new meta data table.

    DRBD status :
    A> cat /proc/drbd
    version: 8.3.1 (api:88/proto:86-89)
    GIT-hash: fd40f4a8f9104941537d1afc8521e584a6d3003c build by XXXXX,
2009-04-20 16:56:11
    0: cs:Connected ro:Primary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate C r----
       ns:37379 nr:0 dw:37379 dr:42382555 al:186 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0
ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:0
    1: cs:Connected ro:Secondary/Secondary ds:Diskless/Inconsistent B r---
       ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:0

    A> drbdadm --stacked up drbd-upper
    1: Failure: (114) Lower device is already claimed. This usually
means it is mounted.

    A> drbdsetup 1 primary
    1: State change failed: (-2) Refusing to be Primary without at least
one UpToDate disk

How we can used first resources ( A-B ) and bind DRBD lower device as a
block device without the end of the stacked resource synchronization ( Y
) ? In your section 5, you describe the following notice :

/After the initial full synchronization, your DRBD device is fully
operational, even before the initial synchronization has completed
(albeit with slightly reduced performance). You may now create a
filesystem on the device, use it as a raw block device, mount it, and
perform any other operation you would with an accessible block device.
/
But using DRBD 8.3 release, the stacked resource should be initialized (
first synchronization ) after mounted lowed device !

Many thanks

--
Fabrice LE CREURER
Développement / Support technique EDTI FT-MASTER