[DRBD-user] Unable to adjust syncer rate.

Kelvin Leong kelvin at zension.com
Wed Jun 3 20:18:59 CEST 2009

Sylvain,

I am experiencing something like what you are experiencing :)

I'm new to DRBD, but thought I'd share how I got slightly "better"
performance after understanding a few things - the old guys in this list
will give you much better advice, though, I'm sure.

There are many other factors which can cause "slow sync" - some things you
might want to check out or test are:

- Local RAID or disk write speed - you can test it using dd, with
"oflag=direct" - write in 1G chunks - this webinar shows quite abit of info
on how local disk read/write can affect DRBD's performance
http://www.linbit.com/en/education/on-demand-webinars/drbd-performance-tuning/-
and is your raid array Quick Init'ed or Fully Initialized?

- Write caching? Read caching? Once again, refer to that tutorial above

- Write scheduler? google for stuff like "deadline" - i think its also
inside the tutorial

- *Actual* network throughout - you can test using "iperf" tool - it's much
more accurate then transferring files via ftp or scp since you can easily
run like loads of tests

- Meta disk - you might want to play around with external meta disks. For
me, i get severely impacted when using internal meta disks, but external
meta disks gives me alot better performance

The Syncer rate in drbd.conf is not really meant to "accelerate", rather,
its meant to "cap" speeds, incase your drbd does a full resync and eat up
too much bandwidth within your network - somewhere in the docs I belief
there's mention of that.

After you understand some of these, you might further be able to pinpoint
exactly how "fast" or rather, where the bottleneck is in your setup.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Regards,

Kelvin