[DRBD-user] Mounting a DRBD volume to bypass DRBD

Oliver Daniel DOLIVER1 at qinetiq.com
Tue Jul 28 13:11:53 CEST 2009

Hi there,

I'm looking to deploy a number of servers that are single nodes, but
pre-configured to be scaled into larger clusters using Pacemaker and
DRBD at a later date if required.  However, I don't want to run DRBD and
Pacemaker in a single-node cluster: we've tried this and have had a
number of trip-ups, for example DRBD dropping the backing store by
default on a read error (I know this can be changed; but my point is
that DRBD isn't intended for this).

As standard, we use DRBD volumes with internal metadata.  Ideally, I'd
like to pre-create and initialise a DRBD volume, but then mount it
directly using its LVM path.  The DRBD kernel module would not be loaded
on the system at the time.

It is my belief that so long as the filesystem is not extended, this
configuration should work because so far as DRBD is concerned the volume
has never been synced, and the contents of the volume version identifier
doesn't really matter.

Can anyone confirm this?  It would make single node -> cluster
conversion route as simple as possible whilst minimising the amount of
cluster overhead when running as a single node.

Thanks,
Dan.

Daniel Oliver
Internet Security Engineer, Managed Services Manpower
Tel: 01684 897528, Mobile: 07766 134606
www.QinetiQ.com <http://www.qinetiq.com/>

The information contained in this E-Mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and is intended solely for the intended
recipient(s).  The information in this communication may be
confidential and/or legally privileged.  Nothing in this e-mail is
intended to conclude a contract on behalf of QinetiQ or make QinetiQ
subject to any other legally binding commitments, unless the e-mail
contains an express statement to the contrary or incorporates a formal Purchase Order.

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on such information is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Emails and other electronic communication with QinetiQ may be
monitored and recorded for business purposes including security, audit
and archival purposes.  Any response to this email indicates consent
to this.

Telephone calls to QinetiQ may be monitored or recorded for quality
control, security and other business purposes.

QinetiQ Limited
Registered in England & Wales: Company Number:3796233
Registered office: 85 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6PD, United Kingdom
Trading address: Cody Technology Park, Cody Building, Ively Road, Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 0LX, United Kingdom
http://www.qinetiq.com/home/notices/legal.html